in this episode I give five reasons you should consider reading Moll Flanders, an early 18th century novel written by Daniel Defoe, who is the author of Robinson Crusoe.
The five reasons are:
1) You get to visit 17th century London
-I mention a painting, which is featured as the artwork for this episode. It is "The Egg Dance by Jan Steen."
2) Meet an "immoral" woman who, nevertheless, leads an interesting life.
-Here I discuss why so many people have hated Moll Flanders.
3) Understand what philosophers hate about commercialism and capitalism.
4) Learn about the novel as an artistic achievement
5) Understand the novel as a moral institution.